12 Days Guided Swiss Trains & Trails Tour
Switzerland Grand Railway Tour, 12 days – 11 nights
The tour of a lifetime. A curated, guided tour of Switzerland showcasing some of the world’s most legendary trains. A limit on tour group size, two-night stays and daily porter service lets you experience Switzerland at a relaxed, friendly pace.
We handle the details so you’re free to collect memories of your Swiss Alps Tour.
Highlights of our Swiss Alps Train Tour
11 Swiss trains (including 2 steam engines), 3 cable car ascents and walks on easy Alpine trails
An Guided Tour with 2-night stays at beautiful hotels/lodges
- Small groups (16 or less) and two-night minimum stays lets you experience Switzerland at a relaxed, unhurried pace.
- Premium lodging and best-available-class train seating ensures comfort throughout
- The tour includes 11 of the world’s most legendary trains, including the Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Voralpen Express, GoldenPass Line and the Furka Steam Train
- Enjoy panoramic, camera-friendly views of spectacular alpine terrain—mythic peaks, glaciers, forests and waterfalls that give way to picture-perfect hamlets and lush vineyards.
- Daily porter service means your luggage is always where it should be. You travel lightly—with nothing more than a small daypack
- Includes St. Gallen Abbey UNESCO Library – This is a 9th century library, the oldest in Switzerland. One of the world’s largest and oldest libraries
- Explore the 9th century St. Gallen Abbey library, the Swiss Military fortress at Gotthard Pass, and the sunny piazzas of Locarno
- Expert guides and lecturers provide insider views on the history and society of Switzerland
- Our local Swiss Resident English speaking guide will accompany you throughout the tour
- Easy guided hikes let you gently meander among clouds and peaks
- Lifetime of great memories and moments
If a 12 day tour is too much, we also offer a shorter 7 Days Swiss highlight alternative:
If time is a premium, we also offer a 3 Days Swiss highlight alternative:
Our guided Swiss Alps Train Tour features:
magnificent train rides, walks, views, foods, and lodging, focusing on Switzerland’s legendary railways combined with walks/hikes and wonderful hospitality.
Along our travels, we have arranged for Expert Speakers to discuss the region’s unique characteristics.
Click Here for More Information on the Expert Speakers
Echo Trails offers the largest number of Swiss rails in its Swiss Alps Train Tour
- Furka Steam Train – restored 1920s steam train over the 7,270 ft Furka pass ride – one of the great Swiss Alps steam journeys
- Brienzer Rothbahn Steam rack railway
- Glacier Express – Classic narrow gauge railway with panoramic windows
- Bernina Express – journey up to the 7,391 ft Ospizio summit – one of Europe’s highest rail stations
- Centovalli Railway – an Italian-Swiss railway and hidden gem of the railway world
- Golden Pass Line – travel in Belle Epoque style
- Voralpen Express – gateway to scenic Eastern Switzerland
- Zermatt Matterhorn Gornergrat – a mountain rack-rail launched in 1898
- Jungfraujoch mountain rack-rail – 1912 incredible tunnel engineering through the Eiger
- Mt. Pilatus – narrow gauge; first started running in 1889; steepest cogwheel train in the world at 48% gradient
- Mr. Rigi – narrow gauge from 1871; first cogwheel train in Europe
Ascend up mountain peaks on these cable cars:
- St. Moritz-Corvatsch to 10,826 ft.
- St. Moritz-Diavolezza to 9,770 ft.
- Lucerne-Mt. Pilatus to 6,561 ft.
‘Off the Rails’ Experiences with Expert Speakers, optional walks/hikes and excursions:
Enjoy exploring the beautiful Alpine countryside surrounding each town with non-strenuous walks and modest hikes and scenic excursions
- Lucerne – walk through the historic old town
- St. Gallen – Abbey Library, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with 8th century manuscripts
- Andermatt – Former top secret World War II military bunker deep in the Gotthard mountains
- St. Moritz – Panorama trail with scenic views of the surrounding Bernina Mts and Engadine Valley
- Locarno – Walk around covered walkways and piazzas – Italian speaking part of Switzerland
- Gruyère – Stroll through Switzerland’s most picturesque square. See how Gruyère cheese is made.
- Lauterbrunnen Valley – walk beneath 600 ft cliffs and 71 waterfalls
- Trümmelbach Falls – spectacular glacier-fed waterfall inside the mountain
- Brienz – board the unique Swiss steam train that has been operational since 1892.
We also offer an optional Pre-Tour feature. This includes:
- Meet and Greet your Guide directly at the airport
- First Class Train Transfer from Airport to Lucerne
- One night accommodation in beautiful Lucerne including Dinner and Breakfast
- A beautiful half-day Panorama guided walk
Schedule – Grand 12 Days Swiss Alps Train Tour
If there is a demand, we can insert additional dates in October, as the weather is still ideal in the Swiss Alps
….Warning: you are in Switzerland – people and trains are always on time
Our tours are limited to 16 bookings – book now to guarantee your seats.
August 9 – August 20 – SOLD OUT
September 13 – September 24 – SOLD OUT
Let’s take the Aug 09, 2021 tour date as our example.
If we assume you are also taking the pre-tour “Meet, Greet, Transfer, 1 night before” option:
Aug 07, 2021 Depart from the USA
Aug 08, 2021 Arrive Zurich airport – Met at the airport customs area and transferred to Lucerne for the night before the trip begins
Aug, 09, 2021 Official Trip Begins, Monday, 1:00 Lucerne Hotel
Aug 20, 2021 Friday, This is your departure from the tour as we’ve overnighted at the Zürich airport Radison Blu, breakfast included, and afterwards you are on your own. If you plan to depart back to the USA this Aug. 20, 2021 is the date to depart.
Our tours are limited to 14 bookings – book now to guarantee your seats
June 27 – July 8
July 11 – July 22
July 25 – August 5
August 8- August 19
August 22 – September 2
September 5 – September 16
September 19 – September 30
Let’s take the June 27, 2022 tour date as our example & we assume you take the pre-tour “Meet, Greet, Transfer, 1 night before” option:
June 25, 2022 – Depart from the USA
June 26, 2022 – Arrive Zurich airport – Met at the airport customs area and transferred to Lucerne for the night before the trip begins
June 27, 2022 Official Trip Begins, Monday, 1:00 Lucerne Hotel
July 8, 2022, Friday, This is your departure from the tour as we’ve overnighted at the Zürich airport Radison Blu, breakfast included, and afterwards you are on your own. If you plan to depart back to the USA this July 8, 2022 is the date to depart.
Our tours are limited to 14 bookings – book now to guarantee your seats
June 26 – July 7
July 10 – July 21
July 24 – August 4
August 7- August 18
August 21 – September 1
September 4 – September 15
September 18 – September 29
Example of the Dates
June 25, 2022 – Depart from the USA – if you take the pre-tour, meet, assist, transfer and one night before in Lucerne
June 26, 2022 – Arrive Zurich airport – transferred to Lucerne for the night before the trip begins
June 27, 2022 – Official Trip Begins, Monday, 1:00 Lucerne Hotel Lobby
July 8, 2022 – Friday, Depart date from the Zürich airport Radison Blu after breakfast at the hotel
Adult Standard: US $7,988 per person, based on 2 or more
Adult Standard: US $550 single supplement
10% Deposit secures the booking – balance due 90 days before the departure date
- Services of a local Swiss Resident English-speaking guide
- 1st Class Rail Pass throughout
- 2 nights Lucerne
- 2 nights St. Moritz
- 2 nights Andermatt
- 2 nights Zermatt
- 2 nights Grindelwald
- 1 night airport hotel
- Lunch Stops: Locarno – Italian speaking and Gruyère – French speaking
- 3-course dinners each evening and full Swiss breakfasts each morning
- All ground transportation including mountain railways and cable cars, and admission costs
- Daily transfer of your luggage directly from hotel to hotel – carry only your day-pack
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Items for personal use
* Currency Exchange
The US$ / Swiss Franc currency exchange rates have been relatively stable over the years. Our current pricing is based on the 2021 US$1:00 /CHF.090 exchange rate at the time.
However, should the currency exchange rate change more than 2% at time of the final payment, we reserve the right to add the net difference to your final amount.
Booking a Tour
Click on the red “Book Now” button
1. On the right hand side, select the Date you wish to take the tour in the Date Box
2. Input the number of participants
3. Go To the Tour Box and click on BOOK button – the payment form will open
4. Review the final price – make sure it is correct
5. Read our Cancellation Policy – check the Terms & Conditions Box
6. Pay with either a PayPal account or debit/credit card
Once the payment has been processed, a written confirmation will be sent to your email address
2021 & 2022 – Amended Cancellation policy
With concerns about the coronavirus we have revised our cancellation to make it more flexible:
· Cancellations made before 90 days prior to departure are subject to a $200.- per person cancellation fee.
· Cancellations made 45 to 90 days prior to departure are subject to $500.- per person cancellation fee
· Cancellations made 31 to 44 days prior to departure are subject to $1,000.- per person cancellation fee
· Cancellations made within 30 days prior to departure are subject to a 100% non-refundable cancellation fee.
Swiss hotel and transportation suppliers require pre-payments and have strict non-cancellation policies.
Transportation vouchers and rail passes are bearer documents and cannot be refunded if lost or stolen.
Changes? When in Switzerland, just dial 079-813-36-10 to reach our office