The following Alps hiking packing list and general instructions apply to our hiking trips in the Swiss Alps such as the Heart of the Swiss Alps and the Jungfrau Via Alpina multi day hiking trip.
While we always recommend that you travel light, keep in mind that all of our multi day hikes and treks are supported with luggage transfers, allowing you to bring a suitcase that will be waiting for you at our hotel.
GENERAL PACKING CONSIDERATIONS FOR HIKING IN THE ALPS:
You will want to be wearing comfortable hiking shoes as we will be hiking over yellow “Wanderweg” trails and on some segments over yellow/red “Bergweg” trails.
The terrain consists of stable dirt surfaces with some rock, patches of roots & small stones and some paved surfaces. Your shoes can be low-cut or mid-ankle but should have a sturdy sole such as Vibram.
It’s important to have comfortable socks possibly made out of natural wool, particularly if walking in hot weather.
We recommend the Swiss made “Rohner” socks by a Swiss-American friend who always buys a batch of these socks to take home to the USA with him. The Rohner brand offers all types of socks for all kinds of sportswear.
For hiking socks they make it real simple – one sock marked L for the left foot and the other sock marked R for the right foot.
You will find them in every sports store. In the U.S.A., firms like Thor-Lo and others produce equivalent socks.
We suggest to bring with you a small bag of about 20 liter size. Deuter, Osprey, Vaude, Kelty, Dana Designs, Osprey, Mountainsmith, REI, Sierra Designs and Jansport all make extraordinary bags.
ALPS HIKING SUGGESTED PACKING LIST:
* Backpack, comfortable hiking shoes and socks
* Lip balm
* Jacket and rain gears (e.g. waterproof and windproof jacket)
* Shirt / Blouse
* Gloves and scarf (depending on temperatures)
* Hat (possibly with some UV protection and a warmer one for winter excursions)
* Refillable water bottle to keep you hydrated or camelback
* Camera and or Binoculars
* Energy food bars, trail mix
* Swiss Francs for Lunch (if not included in the itinerary)
* Don’t forget your Halb Tax or other sort of Swiss Travel Passes (e.g. Guest Card if you are overnighting in Lucerne).
* Optional: hiking steaks or hiking pole.
Your guide will carry the following items, which will be available for your use on the trail and throughout the trip:
* First aid kit.
* Trail maps, field guides.
* Multifunction knife.
We wish you a happy hike!
Your ECHO Rails & Trails Team – CONTACT ECHO Rails & Trails